[Jacob-list] on grain, down ewes

Gillian Fuqua gillianfuqua at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 18 06:34:58 EST 2005

	For grain I use an organic whole grain mix.  I like it because they
get good energy from the whole grain and I don't feed a whole lot of it
and my girls are fine.  I giving more grain this year because it was
such a bad hay year but that still means less than a cup per head per
day.  Green Mountain Feeds also makes an organic pellet lamb starter
mix.  for minerals I use a loose mineral and kelp and I sprinkle it on
the feed.  that way I don't have to worry about anyone gorging on it.
I have also read that kelp is good for fleece production and quality.
	On your "runt" John, perhaps it is some genetic issue.  I think we
sometimes loose sight of the fact that despite our breeding efforts,
Mother Nature throws birth defects everyone's way and some of them are
less obvious and show up as something undefinable but not right.  Is
her fleece nice or is it brittle?  That might give a clue to something
systemic.  I may well be talking out my ear here but I think that
sometimes we just don't know what the problem is and we never will
either and that's ok.  Still a bummer to have a sick girl around
though.

Gillian