[Jacob-list] Sheep Down-Update

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 16 18:54:36 EST 2005

Personally, I would not abort the pregnancy as this can cause as much, if
not more, problems as pregnancy toxemia/ calcium deficiency.

I've also started feeding an alfalfa based hay (roughly 50% alfafa) to my
sheep in the last month of pregnancy. If I can't find good hay for
areasonable price, I give them a protein tub and add calcium to their feed.

Since I've started doing this, I've had no more issues with "downer"
pregnant ewes.

Often my first symptoms were a refusal to voluntarily get up when I walked
up to the ewe.  others would appear "lame" and then go down.  Treating
immediately with calcium gluconate and Nutridrench (or propylene glycol) has
nipped problems in the bud.  They have all gone on to have successful
lambings and nursed their lambs with no problems.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm