[Jacob-list] Horace

Matt Smith zonata at utah-inter.net
Mon Jan 10 10:48:26 EST 2005

Hi All, Linda asked if Horace was gelded and he's not. Reading the other post makes me wonder about him but he's never really caused a problem. I work at home and love watching my critters so I like to think I'm very aware of what going on in the herds at most times. My biggest problem with Horace is sometimes he doesn't want to cross the street when it's time to move one herd to another pasture. In doing so he may end up changing from the sheep herd to the goat herd. Right now he's with 5 almost yearling Angora bucks. He gets along with them great. He goes where he wants to go when he wants to go. Putting a rope on him puts him makes him want to do the opposite of what your hoping for. With this said he changes pasture mates a few times a year. Doesn't seem to disturb him unless he's left alone. That breaks his heart.
I'm assuming individuals very from one Jack to another. Horace was raised on a big exotics farm with lots of other animals all living together. He may be special (I know he thinks so).
I find him to be very tender in his care of the others as well as people. Rarely is there contact and that is confined to his nose directing someone. He does chase but those who don't want to run stay away from him and he leaves them alone. Those who want to join in chase him or be chased and it generally seems to be all in fun. But I always watch when he's running.

He's around 10 years old.

If some of you think I should not have him in with sheep please tell me. I've only been breeding Jacobs for two years so I may still a little green at it.
Thanks everyone.
Matt Smith
Happy Valley Angoras.
Utah county Utah.