[Jacob-list] Re:donkeys and sheep? Cool summer and unexpected babies!

Jgrisner at aol.com Jgrisner at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 11:02:17 EST 2005

Hi All,

I was reading all your stories about guard donkeys. We are raising mini
donkeys and Jacobs, as well as pigmy goats, but keep the jack separate. Our
Jacobs and mini girls share pasture in the summer ( also have 2 llamas in  the
group)and so far everyone gets along well. Jacks can't be trusted in with  sheep
or goats, at any time, without being gelded. But not every gelded jack  will
make a good guard animal. I think it is best if they are started out  together
as babies and even then you need to keep an eye on them. Our jack was  raised
with goats, but can't be trusted now that he is of breeding age. We even  watch
our jenny's, as they sometimes get too rough when playing. It's just a
matter of common sense.Some even get attached and visit over the fence, when
separated for the winter.

On another note--- We have had two lambs and one pigmy goat born in the  past
month & a half.  We weren't expecting them for another month! Here  in Kansas
we had an unusually cool summer. Which must have put the boys in the  mood
for "Love" a little early! So far everyone is doing well. And we have built  new
pens to house the amorous fella's, so we can predict birthing time.

Always something new to learn!

Happy Lambing,

Gail