[Jacob-list] I'm all for true love, but this is ridiculous

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Fri Jan 7 10:36:53 EST 2005

Good Morning, Everyone!

This year, for the first time, we have a ram around the place.  He was not
wethered in the spring because he was promised to a good home, but that fell
through.  So "The Dude" has been with us all summer and fall, and has bred all
the ladies here, we think.

For the past few days, he has been inseparable from one of our older ewes,
Sherry.  He is never more than six feet from her.  Occasionally he will try to
mount her, but mostly he's just "there".  Sherry has some fleece pulled on her
rump, and may have a slight limp, but other than that she doesn't seem worse
for his attention.  She just looks tired and slow to me.  We expect Sherry to
lamb around the first of February.  The one who seems to be having a problem
with all this is our guard donkey.  She is constantly trying to separate them,
and will face off against the ram, chase him, or push him away.  I can't tell
if they are seriously angry, or playing some kind of animal king of the hill.

Questions:  Is it normal behavior for Dude to be so interested in Sherry at
this point?  Could he be harmful to her or a lamb?  I know some of you keep
your rams in with the flock all year - is that a problem at lambing?  Lastly,
have any of you seen problems with guard animals and rams?  We're trying to find
Dude a good home - he's well mannered so far, and has great horns and fleece -
but I like my donkey more.

Thanks for your help.  I hope the quiet list means everything is peaceful.

Kathey
Athens, GA