[Jacob-list] weak ewe lamb

Countryfried40 at aol.com Countryfried40 at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 09:38:34 EST 2005

The lamb has lasted through the night.  She has been eating fairly well.  I'm
still milking out the ewe (as best as I can) , and combining it with milk
replacer.  The vet gave me a shot of Selenium to give her as of 3pm
yesterday(Thur.).  He said you could overdose them, and I assume that is why only one shot
was given.

He also gave several shots to give of an antibiotic. Twice a day.  She is
usually alert when I come in the barn , head up, baas at me.  I can see where she
tries to move, the hay is moved about.  I usually try to hold her up to see
if she will put weight on her legs.  She tries to walk in this manner, but if I
wasn't holding her she'd be on her face.  Very , very weak in the legs.
But.... she does try .  Moves her legs and head toward her mom like she's going
somewhere.

She was a few hours old when I found her Thur.  , she was a single birth.  In
my excitement , I didn't look for the placenta.  Still kinda new at all of
this. This is #  6 in about 2 years.  This ewe has had 3 lambs now since we've
had her.

Thanks for all of the info. VERY  helpful !

Sherry