[Jacob-list] lamb stealing

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 01:17:04 EST 2005

Hi,

Lamb stealing is talked about at least once every
spring on the list.  A ewe that is close to birthing
her own will get the hormones all fired up and decide
she must own the newborn baby and take over.  Tonight
is my first experience directly with that---and I
personally don't want to deal with THAT problem again
either.  Had enough, thank you, in the last 6 hours!

In my case, I had a first time mom (3 years old) who
appears to be a bit calm-natured with her lamb.  Adah
came right on in and took over.  I was alerted at
12:30 by a bawling ewe---GLAD to find out what this
sleep interuption was all about as mom was quite
concerned but standing back letting Adah clean and
care for her baby.

Mom is penned with her baby (pretty dumb if you ask
me, but maybe baby has a full belly already from Adah,
as she is not interested in figuring out how to nurse,
is up standing fine, etc) who is starting to catch on
what a mom is supposed to do.  Adah is locked OUT of
the sheep shed.

Mary Ellen

=====
Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN