[Jacob-list] Border Collies & Jacobs

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Tue Feb 15 08:29:41 EST 2005

I have had a person with a potential interest in Jacob sheep contact me
recently on their use in training border collies.
I always like to leave the "door open" for anyone with a potential
interest in this wonderful breed, but I am also very careful about
trying to lay the groundwork for a successful potential purchase rather
than one where the buyer becomes disgruntled with the sheep and they are
suddenly looking for a new home because they aren't exactly what the
buyer expected.  Only one of those to date, that I know of, and it just
happened to be another "dog situation" where the dog was of higher
interest / importance than the sheep.  Long story on that one!

I know that the descriptions of the Jacob breed describe a loose
flocking instinct, but I also know that some of you have and use Border
Collies on your farms. Since I have been asked the question, I would be
interested in hearing from those of you that do have these dogs on your
farm and with your sheep.  What are your personal experiences,
recommendations, precautions, etc.?

This person already has a small group of wethers of another suitable
breed that he is using with his dogs.  While I would like to suggest
that he maintain two groups...those for training purposes, and then the
really fun, interesting ones :-) ...I realize that
probably won't work for many people.  He seems to have an interest in
the breed so just wondering what those of you with experiences can
relate.  Thanks in advance.

Still waiting for lambs here at Perfect Spot Farm...should not be long now!

Cathy