No subject

Wed Feb 2 07:52:04 EST 2005

numbers of sheep used in the experiment,<BR>Parfitt &amp; Sheppy =
concluded that=20
around 75% of these experimental animals<BR>carried the dominant black=20
gene.<BR>4) In my 2001 book, Black Sheep of Windermere (ISBN =
0-9540283-0-9)<BR>I=20
discuss dominant black in Hebridean sheep in some detail and =
provide<BR>test=20
procedures and their interpretation. I concluded that in the<BR>national =

Hebridean flock somewhere between 10% and 50% of the animals<BR>carried =
the=20
dominant black gene.<BR>5) We do not know the actual proportion of =
Hebridean=20
sheep that<BR>carry the Jacob derived dominant black gene, but I am =
fairly sure=20
that<BR>the Parfitt &amp; Sheppy estimate does not apply to the breed as =
a=20
whole,<BR>but just to their group of experimental sheep.<BR>6) An =
analogue to=20
the Hebridean is the Black Welsh Mountain sheep<BR>which is now in =
excess of 95%=20
dominant black, almost certainly derived<BR>from crossing in parklands =
with=20
Jacob sheep (see my book for details).<BR>Whereas it would still be =
possible to=20
retrieve the Hebridean (as a few<BR>of us are doing) and return it to =
being a=20
recessive black breed of<BR>sheep, it is probably too late to retrieve =
the Black=20
Welsh Mountain.<BR>Trust these comments are helpful -=20
David</FONT><BR><BR><BR>Juliet</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C31567.931A6060--