No subject

Wed Feb 2 07:52:04 EST 2005

origination group he has is so different in look from the Fieldwood/Hescock
flock has has worked with that they are very striking.  We talked about
culling, selection, preferences, etc. before I had to move on and get to my
parent's place (this was about 6 am that we dropped these sheep).

Colorado was the next sheep stop, and I was SO LUCKY and blessed to see the
flock before many of those girls and boys left the property.  Their ram
lambs, ewe lambs, adult ewes, 2-horned boys, and 4-horned boys, and culls
all have individual areas where they are kept, making feeding programs
individual for each area.  The sheep were much larger overall than others I
saw on the trip and I think that their feeding program probably has as much
to do with that as the fact that they have excellent veterinary and health
care.   We hung onto ewe and ram lambs (4-5 months old) by their horns and
not a single horn snapped or popped off.  All felt very sturdy and solid,
although there is evidence of both ewe and ram lamb horns having been broken
this spring in a number of them.  There was very little quilting, a some
freckling, and overall nice length to the fleeces.  I left their place with
16 sheep on board of the 19 that were supposed to be on the trailer
(couldn't fit them on).

I dropped a ram back at Bill Jones' place for him and then headed off for
Wisconsin to Rob Richards' place on the western side of Wisconsin.  We met
in the Wal-Mart parking lot near his home about 5:30 the second evening away
from CO and went on to where he has his flock.  Several lilac animals,
several black/white ones.  Not much fusing there either, and mainly 4-horns.
There were a couple 2-horned sheep there.  Size was similar to most other
flocks.  There was a "deer-like" quality to either a lesser or greater
degree in these than you tend to see in the typical flock.  Spotting
patterning is lost in my memory bank right now.