[Jacob-list] Whether the wether?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 27 11:52:13 EST 2005

What kind of experience do those with wether fleece flocks have with these
guys? I can walk among my ewes in the pasture or pen or anywhere with
safety. Can one do so in a wether flock or do these guys pose a threat to
the unwary shapherd?
Thank you.
=========
I have two adult wethers and a few lamb wethers.  They are just like the
ewes, very mellow.  I use the adult wethers to keep the ram company when he
is separated from the ewes.  I think wethers would make great pets.  I
noticed that the horns were small on the wethers and at first thought
something was wrong with the genetics in my flock.  Then I found out the
horns stay small because the lambs were castrated surgically at 7-10 days
old.  I have two rams castrated at 8 months of age so the horns can grow.
It worked.  They also have a gentle disposition like the wethers, but I was
told they should have the temperament of an intact ram.  I am careful
around them.  Wethers make great pets, whether it is for a ram or people.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho