[Jacob-list] suitability of wethers as pets?

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 06:39:25 EST 2005

Juliet,

  I have found that wethers learn what they live....  If they are companion to a rotten-natured ram who is pushy and bossy, they become very similar to him in nature and are more of a problem when putting back in with the girls as well as just navigating around in the feed area.  If they grow up and live their lives with the girls (and aren't pushed around during breeding season too much), they seem to be no different than the girls.

  Mary Ellen

gordon johnston <gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
          <<< do these guys pose a threat to the unwary shepherd?>>>

  We have found mature wethers to be great companions and they do not tend to have any other agenda than to eat and hang out.  However, as Linda points out, they must be fully castrated (check there are two testicles in the ring before you let the lamb go - if not, remove the ring with sharp scissors and try again).  I wonder if animals castrated after they have developed their male characteristics would be as docile ?  Shouldn't think so.  Another consideration is that wethers grow bigger than ewes - not so hard to manhandle as a ram as they don't have the head gear, but still heavy - go easy on the treats !  Wethers are great for producing excellent quality fleece as they do not have the stresses that both ewes and rams can have.  Eventually, if they have not become too dearly beloved, they can be turned into mutton, which on this side of the Pond at least, is fast becoming THE fashion food.

  Season's Greetings
  Juliet in Scotland

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm