[Jacob-list] Guard dogs/ family dogs

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 12 11:32:19 EDT 2005

We had a chocolate lab, a "fetch dog" when we first moved to our
farm. The Jacob ewes beat him up, and he tried to stay clear of them.
He brought me chickens if they escaped from the coop, but he never
hurt them (labs have a soft mouth). He was great with the kids, but
not a guard dog.
We were given a collie/Aussie mix and she was a great herd dog, but
she had a tendency to worry the sheep and my Jacobs wouldn't hold
together as a herd, they'd split into 3 or 4 groups going different
directions so that one dog couldn't bring them all in. She went to a
cattle ranch and they love her.
We now have llamas to guard our herd. The sheep will run to the llama
when he calls out a danger signal. And our Danny Boy not only has
chased off predators, but also herds the sheep when we are trying to
round them up!
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Or