[Jacob-list] Guard dogs/ family dogs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 11 15:22:33 EDT 2005

Airedale terriers are great watchdogs, great with kids, and will not hut
anything that belongs on the farm.  They also do not shed.  However, they
are worthless as sheep herders or drivers.  Our Airedale went in the sheep
paddock to check out (and play) with a lamb and got pummeled by the mother
ewe.  He never threatened her and just left very fast.  We have all kinds
of poultry at our place.  I got a blue heeler/German shepherd mix to help
me with the sheep.  We have had her for 4 years and she has killed 4
chickens, 1 duck, and 1 wild rabbit.  But that interest is what makes her
good at driving sheep.  She now leaves the geese alone, but she is still
very bloodthirsty when it comes to chickens.  She has to stay in a pen or
the house for most of the time.  Not a great farm dog and I can't trust her
alone outside.  Be careful what you get.  I know similar farms that have
black labs and they do not go after poultry.  A bird-hunting dog (pointer)
is not a good choice.  That's my 2-cents worth.
Cathy