[Jacob-list] Mosquito battle

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Aug 6 18:41:30 EDT 2005

I like bats.  I researched and did a paper on them for vertebrate biology in college.  (I'll admit that I chose scorpions for my invertebrate paper, so maybe I like 'creepy' things).  Anyway, I believe that bats are a good indicator of the health of your environment.  We're always happy to see them.  I'm not exactly sure what I'd do to harbor bats or raccoons.  We just live here and so do they.  The number of unvaccinated domestic pets in our area is probably more of risk for contacting rabies.  Although, come to think of it, if that stinky bear contracted rabies, that would be frightening.

BTW - anyone familiar with the Florida Keys?  Long time ago, someone got the great idea to build a bat tower to house bats which were supposed to help with controlling the mosquitoe population.  The bats almost immediately disappeared.  Local Keys legend says the mosquitoes ate the bats!

Linda

Getting ready for 2006 lambs!
www.patchworkfibers.com