[Jacob-list] another opinion w/ a different twist

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 18:01:59 EDT 2005

Just this week my friend at work ran into the same problem with dogs.  These dogs didn't bother her goats or chickens, they killed her cats!  Bruttally! Not just teeth marks but, tearing them in half.

Here's the twist, it was her own two dogs that did it. When she came to work and told one of our co-workers that she was going to have her husband shoot the dogs, the co-worker was aghast, how could she destory her own dogs? Then she put it into a perspective that the co-worker could understand, " What if you were to come to my house w/ your grandchildren, (one is a toddler the other is 5 years old) would you trust my dogs after they killed the cats the way they did?"  The co-worker, then saw why she had to destory her own dogs.

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farm
Petersburg, IN

Neal and Louise Grose <nlgrose at yadtel.net> wrote:
We also have coyotes in our area. So far, they have not gone after the sheep.

A neighbor had Romneys and Border Leicesters. A few years ago, she left them in a lower pasture away from the house for a few weeks. When she brought them in, she discovered that she no longer had any Romney lambs. All the Border Leicesters and adults were there and showed no injuries. This is typical of coyotes. If the animals attack during the day, and go after anything that will run, then they are dogs, or worse, Coy-dogs.

The sweetest, most soft spoken woman that I know once advised her husband as she was leaving on a trip that if he saw dogs in the sheep pasture he was to shoot them and bury them under the porch...don't tell anyone. Janice once went out with a shotgun to blast at a couple of dogs chasing near the pasture only to turn around and find the dog's owner between her and her own house. The dog owner came back later to complain to Janice's husband that she had said unkind things to him. "I'll bet she did." was the only reply the man got.

Another friend decide to give his neighbor one more chance to keep their large and beloved mixed breed dogs confined. He took pictures of the partially shredded sheep along for "show and tell". His neighbors stunned response was "I thought they were just playing with them."

Neal Grose
North Carolina