[Jacob-list] another opinion

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 23:17:21 EDT 2005

Linda,

I can personally attest to the coyote (lack thereof) issue and dogs.   A
neighbor down the road about 2 miles lost 3 goats (2 nannies, 1 kid)  Thursday.
The two adults had large wounds to their necks while the kid  only puncture
wounds at the throat.

My understanding, experience in the vet field and research has indicated
this is VERY typical of a dog.  Coyotes in general (exceptions, of course  are
noted!) normally feed on their prey, often dragging it away into the woods  to
other area.  Dogs will typically kill it and leave it.

Saturday morning, I had the misfortune of finding 3 very large, stray dogs
on my property.  Two black ones (lab type and a shepherd?/mix???) were  jumping
on my pigs, one at the throat area. The 3rd (St. Bernard mix??) was  pacing
the fence line at my sheep and searching for a  way thru our  woven wire
fencing.  I was fortunate enough to have been alerted only  moments before by
another neighbor who saw the dogs above our property head in  our direction.  So
when I heard my own dog barking (in her obvious alert  mode), I grabbed a gun and
ran to the barn.  I dropped one, hit another and  the 3rd (probably the
smartest, sly one) disappeared before I could bolt another  round.

Although state laws differ on this topic, WV does allow for a land owner to
eliminate an animal who is harassing, chasing, maiming (or attempting to
maim),  threatening or acting in a threatening manner towards livestock or people
on the  property.  We know all our neighbors and what kind of dogs they have --
 just in case.  Since the most of have livestock, it is an understood
"RESPECT" among farmers to pen, tie or otherwise contain dogs from roaming onto
another person's property.

Once I decided to fire into our pond in an attempt to "scare off" a  stray
dog.  I thought my plan had worked when he raced away in the opposite  direction
only to discover the dog had circled back around the top of property  and was
climbing fence (yes -- dogs can climb fence) into the sheep  paddock.  His
window of opportunity to leave came crashing down rather  quickly.  Wild, feral,
stray and even the "lost" dogs are devastating to  livestock.  Around here,
there is no second chance on a wild or feral  dog.  If a neighbor's dog would
happen to find its way into the sheep, I  would make every attempt possible to
catch it before making the decision to  eliminate it.  My experience has been
that determined dogs, even when  thwarted away a few times, will still return.
 Our rule of thumb is a  steadfast one -- no roaming dogs, period!  Cheryl

P.S.  Neutered animals are much more likely to "stay home"!
Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits