[Jacob-list] question on horns

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Apr 15 21:39:44 EDT 2005

Are these ewes?  You may not see horns on a four horned ewe lamb at four weeks, but normally would be able to feel the horns.  On two horned ewe lambs, the horns are visually apparent pretty quickly (by a week, in my experience). I hope someone else will jump in here on this, as I may be wrong, but I think that since SUED is linked to the polycerate gene, you would most often (but maybe not always) see it on four horned animals.  Does sued occur in hornless and/or polled sheep?  I'm hoping Fred will jump in and answer this.

Linda

Visit our new babies!
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2005lambs.html