[Jacob-list] Need help!!! New Mom rejecting lamb

Marguerite Van Beek pegvanbeek at msn.com
Sun Apr 3 07:52:20 EDT 2005

My huntsberger ewe just had a ram lamb last night.  Everything seem to be fine, she talked to him, licked him but when he tries to nurse she rams him.  I stayed up all night, put him in a box next to her, and every two hours took him out and let him nurse while I
held the ewe.  But if I leave him in there with the box protection and he nurses on his own she rams him good.  If I remove him she screams for him and him for her.  I looked at the udder and it isn't sore or large (since he is nursing).  Any suggestions PLEASE.
I was going to try to get TaWee her friend to take him since she also had her's last night but he screams for his own mom and she for him.  Dear god!!!  I did give her a 1/2cc of Banamine just now, maybe she was just too sore from lambing.  I want to try tranquilizers
but have no idea what kind.

Peggy
NJ