[Jacob-list] breeding season

Fibre Folds Farm windyweir at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 05:33:50 EDT 2004

Dan, I noticed last week, about 8/23, that my ewes here in Bath, NY, were
cycling.  I had a few ewes temporarily one fence line away from the rams
and their condition was obvious in the ram’s reaction.  I immediately
moved the ewes farther from the rams, because I don’t plan to do breeding
groups until the last part of October.  Our weather has been strange this
year with some August night temperatures in the high 40’s, alternating
with some days in the mid 80’s with high humidity and so much rain,
everyone is having trouble getting in reasonable hay.  My earliest lamb
birth has been February 1, when I left a ram lamb not quite 4 months in
with the ewes too long, but I have sheep with birthdates in January from
farms in the Southeast.

Nedra Darnell

Fibre Folds Farm

Bath NY