[Jacob-list] wire saws

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 07:49:02 EDT 2004

I agree that wire (bone) saws are the best .  We have had to use them on Hebrideans as well as Jacobs, but always have two people doing it - one to steady the head and protect the sheep's eyes from the dust, and the other to do the two-handed saw action.  We then use a file to round off the cut edges.  If you can't find a wire saw then a 'junior hacksaw' or similar will also work.

The way to tell if you are cutting into 'live' horn ie where there is bloodfilled core, is to feel the temperature of the horn - where it is warm there will be a blood supply, beyond that should be safe.  We have found it better to do a little often rather than risk a fountain.
The cut off pieces slice and polish up nicely into buttons.

Juliet in Scotland UK