[Jacob-list] worming question.

LBBDVM at aol.com LBBDVM at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 21:57:55 EDT 2004

Hi Katrina,

Deworming question:  I would suggest that you deworm 2-3 weeks prior to the
move, then again 24 hours before the move.  If the timing won't work for that,
you can deworm 24hours before the move and repeat 2-3 weeks later.  Ivermectin
and fenbendazole (panacur) are both ok to use in pregnant animals.  If using
the equine panacur paste, use a double dose to get tapeworms.  For example a
100 pound sheep gets the amount you would give to a 200 pound horse.  (this is
10mg/kg)  There is also an equine fenbendazole product called "power pack"
which is already packaged to dose at 10mg/kg.  If you use that one, dose your
sheep pound for pound as if a horse.  If using equine ivermectin paste, dose the
same as a horse.  If using injectable ivermectin, use 1cc per 100 pounds.
IMPORTANT: do not treat any animals that you intend to butcher within the next 30
days!!!!  NO  NO  NO

As for the mud, our sheep won't go anywhere near the muddy places in our
pasture.

Good luck!
Lia