[Jacob-list] "The rest of the story"

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 05:28:25 EDT 2004

Hi All-

Perhaps folks remember an e-mail I sent to the list this past summer
describing the recurring flystrike situation I had in a ram with a broken horn.  In
this particular case the larvae had dropped from the horn into the wool on the
shoulders and with the wet summer had thrived at the base of the wool
unnoticed.  When we pealed back the detached wool we found that the larvae had started
to eat into the skin over a patch with an area of a square foot, or so,
turning that spot into one big oozing sore (it was at least as disgusting as it
sounds).  We ended up killing the larvae with Tea Tree Oil and salving the sore
with Bag Balm.  The ram healed up quite nicely and is with a group of ewes now.

Here's the interesting thing.  This ram is four years old and had turned
noticeably grey, BUT THE BLACK WOOL IN THE INJURED SPOTS GREW BACK JET BLACK!  NOT
ONE HINT OF GREY!  I'm not sure that this means anything, but I did think it
was noteworthy.

Incidentally, we cut that broken horn (originally broken 2 years ago) down to
clean tissue and cauterized it with a cattle dehorning iron to stop the
bleeding.  So far, the flystrike has not recurred.

-Dan