[Jacob-list] fencing.

Katrina & Dave davekat at copper.net
Fri Oct 1 08:25:20 EDT 2004

Hi everyone-
We are really enjoying our new place and settling in without problem. We are amazed by how smooth the process was and how quickly we adjusted to being here...especially after we agonized so much about the decision!   Chicory Lane is a great place, but I guess the old adage 'more fish in the sea' applies in more ways than just boys!  *smile*
The new owners of Chicory agreed to keep our flock until we can get fence up on this place....which should be anytime!  Yippee.  What a luxury to hire someone to put it up this time instead of spending 6 yrs slowly putting it up ourselves.  I have to say though, when we consider the price, we are quite proud of the work we did on Chicory's 10 acres!  Dave was definitely validated.
 So now here is the question:  We are sold on woven wire (American wire) fencing for Jacobs instead of high tensile... thus the price.  The Amish guy that is doing the work suggested we go with 32" woven wire topped with 2 strands of electric wire set at 8" and 10".  The strands would not necessarily be hot.  I respect this guy's knowledge on fences and think it might work, but also know Jacobs like to jump.  What is the opinion?  Do you think this will work?  It will save quite a bit of money and seems fairly secure.  However, this place does have a lot of road frontage and a Jacob on the loose would not be fun!  Opinions?

This place also presents a challenge as it has springs running thru it and we will have to tile a bit of the pasture.  Will be a learning experience!   Will keep you posted.  -Katrina Lefever in the Pigeon Hills.