[Jacob-list] herding dogs

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 22 20:23:18 EDT 2004

Great Pyrenees are not herding dogs, they are livestock guardian dogs.  The
jacobs will learn to live with the dog (and he with them), but heed the
following:

My jacobs and a few shetlands went after my brand new pyr pup with blood in
their eye.  I am positive that if left unattended, I would have been picking
Journey up with a shovel.

Pups will also go through a terrible teens stage between 6 -9 months of age
through 12-18 mos.  My pyr liked to pull wool.  Not good as he has to chase
them to clutch at and pull the wool.  He also chose my prize show ewe to
strip naked the day before the state fair...

I'd lock the pup up in a sheep safe and dog proof pen when you are not
around to rescue either the pup or the sheep.

Now that my pup is at the ripe old age of 13 months, I find him a joy to
have around and he is taking his guard duties seriously.  He does have a
tendency to "galooph" over to me and share his slobber with me--usually as
I'm trying to sneak into my car to drive to work.  I've gotten resigned to
white hair and slobber on my clothes.  I think it was worth it and would do
it again (with a dog proof pen this time, he learned to climb out of a four
foot high cattle panel pen, the next pen would have a top on it or be at
least six feet high).

Kate
Humbug Farm