[Jacob-list] eating lambs--err adolescents!

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 20:24:36 EST 2004

Hi,

We re-named "Kermit" to "Freezer" the day he left a 4-5 inch bruise on my thigh.  I wasn't getting out of his way and he backed up and hit me----at 4 months of age, mind you!  I called him Freezer and told him how tasty his little lamb chops were going to be when they were big enough to eat for awhile....and then carted him off to the butcher.

There is no telling how many heads have popped forth from their mom to be dubbed "freezer" before the rest of the body arrived here at my place.  I have 1 out here this spring that definitely goes----along with probably several more when their horns come on out and we take a look at the entire package.

Each shepherd has their own way of handling culling.  The best way by far is to make sure a less-than-perfect animal never makes it into somebody else's flock---and that is to make sure they get eaten.

We talk about eating rams very freely.  We seldom talk about eating the ewes---but they are just as tasty and edible when they have traits that do not belong in a breeding program.  The first time we sucked it up and had 3 or 4 ewes butchered, it hurt---and was quite difficult.  It still isn't exactly easy, but these are meat animals.

Nobody asks if it was Bessie or Butch that you are eating at McDonald's drive thru....but those cows can and are just as personable before they are slaughtered if somebody takes the time to get to know them.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool