[Jacob-list] navel

kbarrett at oregontrail.net kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Mon Mar 8 14:08:38 EST 2004

I am suprised no one has mentioned the way I was taught to treat the navel
cords, so I thought I would throw it out there as it works like a
charm...although maybe we don't need to do it at all???  I would think if you
have clean dry pasture you would be OK, but if you are lambing or calving were
there may be mud or manure I wouldn't take the chance...I have seen lambs and
calves with navel ill at the vets, and it isn't pretty. Anyway, we have a 1
quart spray bottle with the iodine in it and just thouroughly spray the cord
after cutting it if neccesary.  It is neat quick and sanitary.  I only cut
cords that are very long, and usually leave those about 3 inches long. I would
think if you are cutting cords you should definitely treat them.
I agree with the majority that letting the ewes lamb where they please works
best. I jug them for a day or two afterwards,depending on the weather and how
they feel, and they seem to enjoy the break.  They also like to bring their
lambs back in the open jugs in the evenings to bed down.  And I have 3 ewes who
seem to like to lamb in the open jugs...so I try to provide for all types!!  I
usually move them to the lambing pasture (1 1/2 acres)a week or so before
lambing begins...it is easier to keep track of them there. I have a small group
of 14 ewes, so it goes pretty quick. Then after all the lambs are born I open
up the gate to the big pasture...and they continue to bring their lambs in for
the night for a while as they please.
I am lambing late this year, and am getting anxious to get started now that all
the lambing news is on the list. I usually start in January, but my kids won't
be showing lambs in June this year, so there was no point to start that early.
I will start at the end of March.  I am so glad I waited this year as it has
been a very long cold winter in the mountains.  I will probably still be
lambing in snow, but spring snow is so much warmer!!
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs