[Jacob-list] Fw: crow for dinner

Donnangelo,Nicholas C. ncd at mitre.org
Mon Jun 21 21:53:52 EDT 2004

Reading this string reminded me of an article sent by a  New Mexico on January 10, 2004.  I assume WAFF 48 eNews is a
local news outlet for Los Alamos, New Mexico.   Not the kind of publicity that Jacob sheep owners want or deserve!

"Horned Sheep Attacks Couple

 'It's the most bizarre thing I've heard to happen to anybody,' Brenda Reed said.  Rolling in a wheelchair is not how
she thought she'd be ringing in the new year.  A few days after Christmas, she and her husband, Bill, pulled into the
driveway of their new home to find an unexpected visitor in their front yard.

'This animal hit the door of the truck and wouldn't let me get the door open,' Brenda explained.  "So I tried to open
it further, then he came and got between me and the truck door and kept me from getting back in the truck."

The animal was a Jacobian sheep.  It weighed about 150 lbs and had four horns.  It was living in a fenced cow pasture
next to the Reed's home.

"I started to run, and he came and hit me behind the knees and knocked me down.  Every time I would get up, that's
what he would do.  This happened five times before I finally fell and felt my ankle break," she said.

Bill threw some books at the sheep to distract him.  He too got trampled but managed to hold the animal by its horns
while Brenda crawled into the house to call for help.

 "My son-in-law is a pretty strong young man.  He had a shovel and some rope in his truck, so he tied him up," Brenda
explained.

We still don't know how the sheep got in the yard in the first place.  The Reeds think it either escaped through a
hole or possibly jumped the fence.

"The pain has been very, very excruciating,"  Brenda adds.  "It's been terrible."

Brenda has a broken bone in her leg and a crushed ankle.  Her husband spent Thursday at the doctor's office, mending a
broken arm.  As for the sheep, its owner says it died a few days ago from its injuries.

WAFF 48 News talked with the sheep's owner who rents the land it was living on.  She bought it for her daughter two
years ago as an Easter present and says it's never been violent before.