[Jacob-list] crow for dinner

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Jun 20 16:55:25 EDT 2004

Well, I'm cooking a crow and eating it for my dinner.  I don't know why, but it seems everytime I get abit complacent
or prideful about my Jacobs, they band together and teach me manners and humility.

My "gentleman" ram, Junco, is still a gentleman, but he reminded me last evening that he is, indeed, a ram.  Last
evening, I opened the gate to the ram paddock for them to go out and graze around the fruit trees for the night.  I
can't let Beulah graze there anymore at night, as the minute she hears a sound in the morning, she stands with her
front feet on the side of the house and sticks her head through the living room window and baas.  All this before
coffee, no less.  I went to pick up some uneaten hay in the ram paddock to toss over to the old folks home.  Junco
walked up to me and sniffed a metal snap I had in my hand.  He was standing less than a foot from me and just sprung at
me without any backing up, rammed my hand and then just stood there again quietly.  It was easy to just grab him by the
horns, so we could walk together to the gate. He walked placidly beside me.  When I got to the gate, I turned him loose
and he wandered off.

Why did he ram me?  Maybe because for all his mellow personality, he is still a ram - guess that's why they call them
rams!  He was raised being handfed from the time he was a lamb (not by me).  Perhaps, he didn't care for metal snaps
and wanted an apple. Maybe he's carried over his teaching Joe manners to me.  He is a very nonaggressive animal and the
mellowest ram I've ever seen, but something clicked in his mind.  If he had wanted to back up and charge, or if he had
wanted to charge a second time, he could have hurt me.  As it is, he just barely hit a knuckle on my left hand and it
was swollen and sore this morning and I couldn't move until just a few hours ago.

Rams are rams - I made a mistake by feeling just abit too confident.  Junco taught me a lesson in the same mellow way
he teaches the baby rams.  Groucho would have killed me, but then I would never have put myself in a corner with
Groucho.

Oh boy, crow for dinner - again!

Linda

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com