[Jacob-list] Piebald spotting/"feotal attraction"

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 21:25:20 EDT 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the info on spotting in fetal development.  This makes the lambs that were aborted this spring even more interesting.....  They were about the size of a medium man's hand.  I didn't weigh them, but would guess about a pound or so apiece.  There was not a spot on either of these lambs----and from what I am seeing here, they would have both been born white.....out of "jacob" parents.  Interesting....

Mary Ellen

Linda <patchworkfibers at alltel.net> wrote:
So, are these primary follicles where the "halo" of hair that is often seen on newborn lambs develops?

Linda

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:57:23 EDT, Jacobflock at aol.com wrote:
Wool doesn't grow from primary follicles. At birth,
>primary follicles immediately begin to shed (this may go on for up to about a
>year) and secondary follicles explode in number ... and produce wool.

>Fred Horak

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool