[Jacob-list] Broken Horn

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Jun 2 12:19:31 EDT 2004

One more thing you may want to consider is the use of a cauterizing iron. It sounds barbaric, smells terrible and the lamb will think it will be killed, but it is the one sure way to stop the bleeding quickly and seal off the wound. If there is a stump of horn left, then there are very few nerves to cause problems. My experience with dehorning calves is that the initial injury is not as significant problem as is later re-opening of the wound. I don't like the idea of using cob-webs or other dressings because it provides a mass of nutrient rich gunk for bacteria and flies. I prefer to leave the wounds open and clean so they can be inspected and treated for flies if need be. The only calf I have ever had to bleed to death is one that knocked a scab off a week or so AFTER dehorning (partially because no one was around).

Neal Grose
North Carolina