[Jacob-list] broken horn

Gillian Fuqua gillianfuqua at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 2 07:57:40 EDT 2004

	The first broken horn is the worst.  As I have learned, the bleeding
stops on its own although they do look horrible.  What you have to
watch out for is fly strike.  I have waited for the bleeding to stop
and hoped for rain.  Otherwise I wipe off the big chunks with a wet
rag.  Between my two yearling ewes last year, 5 horns were broken off.
the broken horns are growing back but the girls still look like
unicorns.  In fact when I made a block print featuring those two, I
drew in missing horns; art does not have to be true to life!  Anyhow,
you can get this stuff called blood stop or something like that at your
feed store.  It's a powder you sprinkle on.  I now own some but have
yet to actually manage to get it on anyone.
	As for restraining, you can flip them up onto their tail bones and
hold them between your legs or hold them while they are standing with
one arm around the rump and using your other arm to hold the head.
Bear in mind that this works for me but I am 6 feet tall with broad
shoulders.  I don't think that there is any way to hold an upset Jacob
without sustaining a bruise somewhere.  My goal is to keep my face out
of the way. ( I did get a horn up my nose once, don't ask how, ouch!)

Gillian