[Jacob-list] Fescue Toxicity

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Jul 13 10:16:54 EDT 2004

Fescue toxicity is a real problem in our area. It is caused by a symbiotic endophyte fungus that infects fescue grass and increases its tolerance to draught, cold, heat, and insect infestation. Look at your pasture. If the grass is uniform and stays green a high percentage of the year, then it is probably bad for your sheep. It also tends to make the grass unpalatable to sheep and bugs. Good for lawns = bad for sheep.

Rate of gain yields can often double in pastures that are over-planted with clover because it gives the animals something else to eat. Fungus free fescues are available and can produce good rates of gain, but die out after a few years. There is also a new non-toxic fungus infected fescue that is supposed to supply the best of both worlds, but you can not plant it adjacent to toxic varieties that go to seed and keep it free of the toxic fungus. If your neighbor has stuff he wants to get out of his yard, like crab-grass, offer to take it for the sheep...

Neal Grose
North Carolina