[Jacob-list] Re: Horns and scurs

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 09:00:53 EDT 2004

Linda and all,

I had another hornless wonder this year as well (out of the same ewe that had the situation 6-7 years ago).  The skulls on both ewe lambs had lumps, but you just never saw horn burst through the skin.

The times that weak (likely scur-type side horns) horns have been knocked off at the base of my ewe heads, there has not been a comparable lump.

In my case, even though the pedigree was exemplary on both ram/ewe sides in each hornless ewe, all have been  culled----including the dam.  Sires to each of the ewe lambs were not culled, although the first one is long since dead for other reasons.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool