[Jacob-list] washing wool

Bill Thompson Emma at netins.net
Thu Jan 29 19:19:52 EST 2004

Hi---I would be much more afraid of the bleach in my septic than what little
lanolin would be on my Jacob wool.
Everyone has different methods of cleaning their wool, I wash 26-28 fleeces
a year.  When I skirt, I also shake as hard as I can to loosen VM.  I then
soak one hour in hot water to loosen the surface dirt.  Lift the fleece from
my wash tubs, throw away the water in the garden etc and spin the wool out
in my washing machine.  I then fill the wash tubs with the hottest water I
can get, a cup of Tide and soak another hour.  Lift the wool out of the
water, spin in my washer and then fill my washer with the hottest water
available and 1 to  1 1/2 cup vinegar, soak an hour and spin out.  By
lifting the fleece out of the lst soak water and the soap water, I am
allowing the dirt and VM to drain off and stay with the water.  This whole
process can be done in a morning while I am doing other jobs.  I do set the
timer as to not forget and let the water cool, that messes up the process.
If you let the water cool, what lanolin is on a Jacob fleece will set back
on.

Bleach will kill the little working pac man type critters in you septic
system though and then you have to have it pumped.  Even to soak clothes
that might need bleach, I do it in a bucket and dump where I don't want any
weeds, etc to grow, like on a brick patio.  You are much better to use yeast
or septic "food" in you septic to keep it working, and avoid any harsh
disinfectants or germ killers.

Good Luck,        Lou Anne in S.W. Iowa