[Jacob-list] Fw:

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Thu Jan 29 05:06:15 EST 2004

Chickens are great companions with sheep/goats......we've had them
together for years ~ that is until recently when the evil Mr. Fox
discovered how tasty my little red hens were!!   Our male pygmy goat
loved to have the chickens stand on his back, as their toenails gave him
a good back scratch.... and his enjoyment was evidenced by his arched
neck, eyes rolled back in his head, and him rocking back and
forth......the chickens never knew what that was all about, as they were
just walking and scratching as usual on his back but Abner loved it.

We had a pair of geese in with our Jacobs at one time, and they got along
quite well also.  When the female goose, Freda,  would go into the shed
to lay an egg, her mate, Phares, would pace back and forth in front of
the shed and he appeared to be quite lonely........and then to appease
his attack of loneliness he would climb up on the back of one of our ewes
who was lying down,  settle himself comfortably in her fleece, and wait
for his mate to return.....and that old ewe didn't mind being his
security blanket one bit!!

Geese and chickens are so very interesting to watch and
observe........I've thought that perhaps someone should write a book
titled, "I Learned Everything I Ever Needed To Know About Life In The
Chicken Yard."  So many poultry behaviors and personalities remind of
humans.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA