[Jacob-list] birth signs?

Victoria da Roza castlerockjacobs at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 13:20:37 EST 2004

Hi all,
   This is my first ewe giving birth and I am not sure
just what signs to read.  Through the prayers of
friends I got my neck surgery early and so I cut the
wool off the back end of Nibbles so at least that
would be clean before I had to go to the hospital.  We
could not sheer yet cause it always rains on the
planned day and the wool is wet.
  When I got a good look at her udder it was quite a
bit larger than a handful, she has dropped and you can
see kicking on the sides, the tail ligaments are
softer than the other ewe and she is pretty chubby.
   We had to leave her in a part of a bomb shelter
under the house (wierd I know but built in the 60's)
with a bed of straw,light on and food and water.It is
nice and dry there.  We are pretty damp here each day.
   They took out a golf ball size lump and I have a 4
inch incision.  Problem is for the next 2 weeks I can
not push, pull, lift or bend over so the sutures stay
closed.  So all the books I read will not be a big
help in the delivery as Robert will be the midwife
now.Plus the dr. does not want me to be near animals
for 2 weeks with the open wound.
   It is 3 days after surgery and she still has not
given birth.  Will it still be a long time or should I
keep her in her nest still?  It is a big place so she
can walk around, etc.  We put her out on grass
yesterday but not in the same field as the other
sheep.
   My other ewe does not look at all pregnant at this
time.  They have both been in with the ram the same
amount of time.
   Gary, sorry about the blue tongue thing.  I wil
send you pics of Boots first babies when they arrive.
   So any of you on the list, any ides of how far we
are from lambs?
 Victoria

=====
Victoria