[Jacob-list] trimming horns

Patchworkfibers patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Jan 16 15:42:23 EST 2004

Some of you may remember when I posted last fall about accidently "training" the
horns on a ewe lamb.  She had broken her laterals and kept getting her head stuck in
the fence.  I taped a piece of PVC pipe across the top horns to keep her from
getting her head through the fence.  After three weeks, I noticed that the horns
were beginning to take a forward lean, possibly from the weight of the pipe.  I cut
the pipe off.  A few months later, the growth direction is more towards the back -
BUT - one of the horns withered above were the tape had been.  Withered is not
exactly what happed - more of an arrested growth.  The new horn is firm, well
defined and stable, but the old horn is still at the stage of 3 month old ewe lamb's
 and is loose where it joins the new growth.  I can only attribute that to the tape
partially cutting off the blood supply.   I would guess you could take off horns
with elastrator bands if the lamb was young enough.  I could probably take off the
weak part of this girl's horn with a band without too much trouble, but I believe
I've done quite enough "managing" on this one!
BTW- I am not recommending horn training for any reason.

Linda