[Jacob-list] predators

R Unzicker runzicker at erols.com
Mon Jan 5 11:31:11 EST 2004

Hi Mary Ellen and All,
Sorry I did not respond to your predator question sooner.  We were in Florida and just got back last night.   I do not have many details re Maine except that I did read/hear something similar to what Thom has already stated.  What I recall is that a bald eagle's nest was checked out and it contained cat collars and lamb bones.   When we were on Butter Island this summer rounding up Jacobs I did observe several animals that had black spots on their shoulders.   Initially I thought is was freckling.  But I observed in each case the freckling (large, dime size "freckles") was in the same spot on each sheep and that the spots were always in a circular formation much like I would expect an eagle's claws to make.   I suspect these were the lucky lambs that somehow escaped but the claw damage to the lamb's hide caused the discoloration.   Can't prove that, just my hunch.

Also, re infected ears from tagging.   From time to time I would notice an infected ear. It always seemed to be on a animal that moved at the wrong moment causing me to tag through a  vein with the tagger.   I now dip both ends of the tag in alcohol before tagging.  So far I have had no more infected ears.   Again, similar to what others have said.

Again re tags.  I tag lambs at 3 days with the small tags.  I don't like the droopy ear look.    When I decide who I will keep and register I cut out the lamb tag and put in the larger ones.  With the right tool the tags can be cut out rather easily.  I then use the same ear hole to put in the permanent tag which causes no pain or chance for infection again.   Saves considerable dollars as the small tags are much cheaper than the larger one but I still have a means of identifying all lambs.

Here's to a Happy New Year and to a happy lambing season.
Royal