[Jacob-list] Re: Tags

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Sat Jan 3 09:40:26 EST 2004

  Thanks Melanie for the Tea Tree Oil suggestion.  I will definitely
start doing that because we have had our share of infected scrapie tags
here.  It may depend on time of year or style of tag, but we have had to
totally remove a few of varying types, both from our own sheep as well
as ones that have been purchased and were wearing a different style than
our own, so I know that problems come from all types.    The absolute
worst one was on a ewe last summer that had been tagged in March.  She
acted a little bit "off" for weeks, but normal enough that we didn't
really worry too much.  She ate normally, didn't act really sick, but
more on the order of "depressed".    I attributed her "problem" to the
fact that she was not bred last year and thought she was moping because
she had no lambs.  Not far from the realm of possibility for her.

We finally detected the problem when she was on the shearing stand
getting her hooves trimmed.  You absolutely could not tell from casually
looking at her that the tag was causing her a problem, but the odor on
side of her body started us looking.  That tag was so infected that it
had to be removed by a vet....a huge buildup of proudflesh on the inside
of her ear around that tag...outer portion of the ear that you could see
looked normal.

If Betty is tagging just a few days after birth, you must be using the
small "lamb" style tags.  I think the button tags would be too heavy for
the tiny, tender newborn ears.  When we were only tagging for our own
purposes (pre-scrapie program) we had lots of lambs losing their tags
once they were old enough to start sticking their heads through the
fence.  A few ripped ears were all I needed to stop that and for a year
we did not tag at all. We are now using the button scrapie tags but wish
I had ordered the small rectangle plastic "lamb style" tags.

I intensely dislike tagging and get in a really bad mood when it is time
to "install" tags.  I hate doing it and I hate it for the sheep, even
though most don't seem to mind.  We just tagged last years' ewe lambs
that are still here so hopefully they will be healed before warm weather
arrives....although it is supposed to be 72 degrees here today!

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm