[Jacob-list] Re: Fleece growth

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Thu Feb 26 11:47:43 EST 2004

Just for the sake of curiosity, I went back and looked at my wool
records for last year.  Weights on our fleeces were much more satisfying
in 2003 than in 2002, when we had an extremely mild winter.

It seems like I skirt with a heavier hand each year.  We sheared 24
sheep last year, and of those, there were 7 that weighed 3-3.5 pounds
AFTER skirting, so were definitely over 4# before skirting.   None of
those is a harsh fleece....they are among the first to be sold here each
year,  and they were reserved by their buyers (handspinners)  months ago
for shearing next month.

Of those seven, 3 were in one family group (mother, daughter, wethered
son), and two were in another family group (mother, daughter).

The remainder of the fleeces last year weighed out in the 2 - 2.5 range
after skirting, which I was pleased with.

While the fleeces look good for length and density this year, I suspect
we will be throwing more wool away this year with the extremely wet
conditions we had for most of 2003 coupled with our clay soil here in
western NC......where it is snowing today and work is cancelled!

Cathy