[Jacob-list] quiet list

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 06:03:24 EST 2004

Hi,

We missed the snowstorm in Greensboro of yesterday but caught it over the weekend.  The kids were out of school with the 1-2 inches of snow on the ground Monday.

I came home from work yesterday to find a ewe down.  I could get her up and walk her in to the sheep shed and eventually out to the truck for her trip to the vet.  Her head was turned 45 degrees back consistently.  I presumed calcium deficiency or ketosis when I looked at her, but not long after I was getting calcium paste into her, I realized that it wasn't going down any longer.  She had her jaws locked in tetany and was just quivering.  This, of course, doesn't look very promising.

Talked to the vet who was also not encouraging, but was willing to see if getting fluids in her and dosing her up would turn the picture around.  I got her down there in about an hour and a half.  He pulled up and we checked her body temperature out---HIGH.  He did a sonogram and found a happy heartbeat---I can see why vets could easily miss babies!!!  I didn't hear of her demise last evening.  Anyway, I am to go pick her up this afternoon dead or alive.

Lots happening here at the farm this week.  Shearing on Friday.  Saturday---my While the Cats Away Sale day  (hubby and youngest son are off competing in the SE regional ice skating competition in Alabama for Special Olympics).....  AND NO LAMBS YET!  Watch them come on Saturday!

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool