[Jacob-list] Signs of Spring

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 10:39:51 EST 2004

Hi All-

It was -10 here this morning which makes it one of the two coldest days of
this winter at my place.  (I'm sure that some of you have had it worse.)  I
could have predicted that this would be the coldest day of the year as 4 of my 10
Jacob ewes where due yesterday/today.  Fortunately, none delivered during the
coldest hours of the night.  We had heat lamps shining on their pens and
everything as "cozy" as we could make it, but it was still pretty cold.

It is cold, but to my mind (and you can call me crazy if you like) its
spring!  Sure there are umpteen inches of snow on the ground and the ice water is
steaming, but consider the following:

»The cardinals (and a few other birds) are singing their territory/mating
songs.

»The sun sets late enough that I can do chores in daylight after work.

»The sunshine is warm enough to cause dark objects (twigs, etc.) to melt
their way into the snow even when the ambient temperature is considerably below
freezing.

»I saw a road kill possum in the middle of the road yesterday.  (Sorry, I
know that was gross, but possums hibernate for at least part of the winter.)

»I saw blue birds last Saturday.

»THE LAMBS HAVE STARTED COMING!

Call me crazy, but IT'S SPRING!

-Dan