[Jacob-list] rams

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 08:29:16 EST 2004

Kate,

I have never heard of more than 2-3 days in the worst of circumstances for the rams to work out their differences when put back together.  Remember that they will need to reestablish their pecking order, and they ONLY need the space that it takes their bodies to be smooshed together in an area to do this.  The proverbial "phone booth" is quite sufficient.

USUALLY, 4-8 hours is fine, although if they haven't stopped swinging their heads and carrying on, I have heard of them being left as I said up to 3 days---without food or water, which is why this rarely takes very long!  Let them out hungry with food bowls scattered around and I haven't had any problems.  I think the longest I have ever needed was overnight.

My problem with 9 rams in an 8X8 area with about 6-8 food tubs (you can use old tires or hay bales) was that they just had WAY TOO MUCH ROOM.  They had calmed down and I had let them all out though by nightfall---so it was somewhere in the 4-8 hour range that they spent together.

There is a theory that if the rams smell like themselves (Ram A thinks Ram B smells like Ram A) then they won't back up and slam another one.  This year, I saw lots of visible challenges in body language and facial gestures that would precipitate another attack.  They are all good buddies now.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool