[Jacob-list] Fw: butting rams

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Fri Dec 10 12:22:52 EST 2004

>I don't think it's aggression, just that there's not
> much
> > going on in a rams head once he's served his ewes...'uh, what shall I do
> > next ? - I know, I'll bang my head against something hard ' LOL.

I agree and I love your description!
I have a big tree stump with a lot of thick stems sticking out in the ram
pen. It has a hole in the middle and I pounded a metal t-post through it to
hold the stump in place. The post is bent over sideways now, but it and the
stump is still there. The rams use that as a head scratching spot.

Someone also commented that the electric fence doesn't work for his rams. If
they are fighting in the same pen they don't pay any attention to the fence
and bash the newcomer against the fence anyway. For the most part it works
for me if they've had a learning period. I make sure they have a chance to
investigate and get zapped when their brains are turned on (not thinking
about fighting or ewes, etc--no distractions). I have also culled the bad
ones. I have one ram in a solid horse stall right now waiting for the
butcher because he has become too aggressive and destructive (and I don't
need 6 rams this year).

Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA