[Jacob-list] Fw: butting rams

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 10:54:28 EST 2004

Hi,

I wouldn't necessarily agree with Betty B's assessment.  My experience with butting rams is that they do it whether they are WITH ewes during breeding season or WITHOUT ewes (and out of smell range) outside of breeding season.  In short, they do this 12 months out of the year WHEN THEY ARE PRONE TO BUTTING.  They pick any pliable target, and trees to give a bit.  The domes don't seem to interest them.

I have been blessed with a whole bunch of rams the last 2-3 years that have not butted on anything.  The one that did butt (would back up and hit anything for the fun of it) was a nasty-natured thing that was sold with buyer beware stated very clearly before purchase.

I am not sure whether to pat myself on the back for selecting such good boys, or whether to just chalk it up to luck.  My best guess is the last.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool