[Jacob-list] Llamas

Dennis Schultz dschultz at waypt.com
Thu Dec 9 08:07:40 EST 2004

We have had over 200 lambs born here and have never lost one to a coyote (said with crossed fingers). We have a lot of coyotes in the neighborhood. They run down one of our driveways and through the woods at the bottom of our pastures. I have seen our llamas suddenly chase their flocks up to the end away from the woods a number of times and then position themselves between the woods and the sheep. I think that the 'guarding' behavior varies from animal to animal. It is my opinion that llamas born and raised in the flock are more protective than ones brought in at an older age.
Denny
Dennis and Barbara Schultz
Green Water Farm
250 N Jacob Miller Rd