[Jacob-list] Questions

A. Marshall and J. Noles marshallandnoles at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 08:27:30 EDT 2004

Hello,
   I am new to the jacob world, starting some 8 or 9 months ago when
I met my girlfriend in mi. Since then we have relocated to Ky and
just got a chance to add a few ewe lambs to our flock.  We had
planned to add a ram and some adult ewes as well but alas, we found
needed truck repairs needed to "borrow" from this year's sheep
budget. :(

I am interested in not only their wool, but as we also have dairy
sheep, I am also interested in milking the Jacobs as well.  My
girlfriend had one Jacob in her milking string a couple of years ago
and said that while the quantity was very small, the butterfat and
solids well excellent for cheesemaking. So my question is this: Has
anyone else ever milked their jacobs? We are wondering if Jacobs are
typically as well behaved and pleasant to work with on the milking
stand as my girlfriend experienced?  She was surprized as the one she
milked was about 7 and not exactly tame (would put head in grain
bucket but not want to be handled otherwize).

 Thanks,
John C. Noles
Red Dragon Farm,
Mount Vernon, Ky