[Jacob-list] Re: Sheep shearing question......

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Aug 8 20:25:29 EDT 2004

The JSBA standard does list adult sheep that shed as a DQ.

I don't think anyone is talking about Jacobs routinely shedding.  In my case, I was talking about breaks in the wool
due to stress factors.  The ewe I referred to came here with mastitis.  During the treatment, her wool broke.  In the
spots where she could rub, the wool fell out - at the break, not at the skin.  Where she could not rub, the staple
stayed there, but had a very weak spot.  I went ahead and combed her to pull off the wool at the break, which left her
with a very short fleece.  Not the same as shedding :-)

I did see some Jacobs once that had not been sheared in years and their fleeces were very matted.  The fleece was
pulling off in places.  It looked like the sheep was uncomfortable and was rubbing those areas.   I'm not sure, but I
don't think that would be the same as shedding - more like ripping off some heavily felted/matted fleece.

Linda