[Jacob-list] Re: Sheep shearing question......

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Aug 6 15:23:34 EDT 2004

I know I'm going to sound really dumb here, but I don't quite understand what you mean by the "area between the old and
new wool."  What conditions separate the old wool from the new wool?  Does the wool stop growing for a period and the
new wool is what comes in when it starts growing again?

Linda

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:49:11 +0100, gordon johnston wrote:

>Most sheep will have a rise in the wool - the weak area  between the old and
>new wool. It is vital to shear through the rise if you are  selling the fleece
>to hand spinners. If you cut below the rise (as with machine  clipping) you
>leave a weakness in the wool which has to be broken by the spinner  - they get
>fed up pretty quickly doing that.

>Best of luck to you all whichever way you choose to part your  sheep from
>their wool.
>
>Gordon in rainy Scotland.

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep & Angora Rabbits